Share

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Question of the Day #41: Has anyone asked you what types of books you like to read and when you tell them Stephen King's books they look at you like you have a problem?

Yes, this has happened to me on several occasions through the years.  Honestly people, they are just books! I want to tell them geeze, I'm not evil  because I  like to read SK's books. If the people who completely clam up, crease their eyebrows, or look surprised would just give his books a chance they may  find some of his literature very entertaining with hours of reading pleasure.  His books are not all "Doom and Gloom", so to speak.


Here is an example of some of the responses that I have received, this happened to me on Facebook:  I posted that I was waiting in line overnight to meet my favorite author Stephen King for a book signing.  My friends on FB were asking, "YOU like him?" I told them that it had been a dream of mine to meet him for years. (Again, you must be a weirdo, came through in the posts.) I only had one or two people seem sincerely happy for me.  I even had posters tell me that they thought he was weird--but not one name caller had read any of his books. (Imagine that.)  I seriously doubt they had ever read or watched any of his interviews either.  His interviews are engaging and funny, even if you aren't a fan.  He has never come through as a weirdo during any interview that I have seen.  Even one of my FB friend's favorite movies was Shawshank Redemption and was totally unaware that King had written that one. (That was funny.) They have this pop culture perception of him that I feel is just wrong. The media has tried to paint a darker picture of him that I feel may discourage some people from reading his books which in my opinion, is a crying shame. The thing that is so cool about SK is that he is just a regular, "down to earth" guy, who cares about his readers and people in general. Stephen King has worked his whole life to provide enjoyment, through reading, to the masses.  Sorry to be so wordy, but this has been bugging me for a very long time.

*Post your opinions or thoughts in comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments. We love your feedback. :)

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts